Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pei Wei

Hey guys! Rachel here!

On Thursday night, I was invited to go to a special media-only presentation of Pei Wei's newest entree Thai Mango Chicken that will debut in its restaurants Monday, February 2nd.

It is described as a "light and flavorful dish that combines chicken, fresh mango, red bell peppers, spiced cashews, and Thai basil wok-seared and fresh-to-order in a tangy and tropical mango sauce topped with lime and cilantro". Doesn't your mouth start to water after reading that? =D

As soon as we got to the reserved table, we were met with big smiles and handshakes and personally greeted by Pei Wei's Director of Culinary Operations, Chef Eric Justice, straight out of their Arizona corporate offices. He certainly does his research before creating any dish, because he traveled to Thailand where he was "inspired by all the fresh fruits and chilies in the local markets."

They are pushing this new dish because it is their first to include fruit. (This was my first time to ever eat mango, by the way.)

Before the main course, we received appetizers, and between the delicious crab wontons, the always amazing lettuce wraps that they cut by hand daily, and the yummy spring rolls with peanut sauce, we nearly filled up before the real meal ever began!

Before the main dish was served, we were informed we would receive it in two different ways; "stock velvet" and fried. Stock velvet is a way that you can choose ANY dish in the restaurant to be served. It means they will just steam your protein of choice (beef, chicken, shrimp, etc) in vegetable stock instead of frying it in oil. This not only makes your meal healthier, but also brings out a bit more of the flavor. The table was split about half way over who liked the stock velvet or fried version more. While I certainly enjoyed the fried version of the new Thai Mango Chicken, I did prefer it the "stock velvet" way.

It was also suggested to us to try a few bites, and then squeeze the included lime wedge over the dish to see what other flavors it brought out. I felt very cultured at that point, but there was more to come! Not only were we to taste and see the difference between the two ways you can order it, we were also served a more salty, soy-based dish called Mongolian Beef. Once you took a bite of that, it did in fact make you realize just how many flavors were in the Thai chicken dish. However, the Mongolian beef almost stole the show for me. I'll be ordering that the next time I go to Pei Wei. :)

Not only can you specify if your dish will be stock velvet or fried, you can also customize it in almost any way that pleases you. Spicy, mild, any protein you choose, brown rice, white rice, more sauce, less sauce, veggies, no veggies. They are very pleased to say that their menu is highly customizable. So next time you go, don't be afraid to tell them exactly what you want. They will be happy to make it just as you request.

Another thing to note is that I'm usually very picky about peppers and fruits, and well, a whole lot of foods, but the Thai Mango Chicken was delicious. The only drawback I noticed was the fact that when it comes to spicy foods, I am a WIMP. I have had waitresses laugh at me over how hot I thought things were. So, wimps take note: Pei Wei's new entree is a hot one. I was reaching for my water many times. However, I seemed to be the ONLY person at the table who thought that way. So, if you happen to be one of the those so-called "normal" people, you should have no problem enjoying this dish to its fullest.

Thank you again to Pei Wei and Chef Eric! I already loved your restaurant, and you have made my love grow exponentially!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Thai Mango is not the first to have fruit, the sweet and sour has pineapple in it

Anonymous said...

Had it for lunch today. Didn't care for it at all. I wouldn't characterize the flavor as hot... strong, almost to the point of overpowering. Next time I'll go back to the teriyaki bowl. Yum!