Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Coffeehouse Theology by Ed Cyzewski


Coffeehouse Theology: Reflecting on God in Everyday Life
by Ed Cyzewski

It took me a while to get through this book. Not because it's long...or boring...or anything like that, mostly because I started it before the holidays when things tend to pick up and get all crazy-like. And this is a book that, at least for me, required undivided attention to fully grasp. I am not an intellectual, personally, I don't even like big words...and theology was always one of those big words I avoided. Not having grown up in a church or having had a single seminary class, I kind of always left the "theology" alone. I felt like I had no place really discussing theology. But, after reading just a chapter or two of Ed's book made me realize that theology is simple. And the more I read, the more confident I felt that I could hold up my end of the conversation if I had to (or...if I wanted to!).

I originally wanted to read this book because I had had a string of conversations regarding "truth." We mulled over how 'your truth may not be the same as my truth' so what is true and how do we know? It goes right along with all of the post-modern, "emergent church" stuff going on lately. Is truth relative? Is there such thing as a truth anymore? Is it ok for your truth and my truth to be different? Well, this book hits that nail right on the head, discussing how we figure what truth is really true. And yes, my friends, there is an absolute truth in Jesus Christ!

Ed looks at the hazards of post-modern thought and how relative truth is dangerous. He also talks about how we tend to read the Bible in relation to our own life experiences. This is something I've talked about with people in great length. I interpret the Bible this way because this is my experience and what I've seen, while you understand it that way because that's what you've seen or done, and now we have two different views on this one Scripture. So which is right? There's no easy answer, but through theology... answers can be attained! Ed goes through the steps you'll need to take to fully grasp how theology works. It's a blending of studying the scriptures and taking your experiences along with others' experiences and sifting through it until there's a common denominator and going from there. Ed does a fantastic job of explaining the process, giving suggestions and opening your eyes to new references that can be used to get to the bottom of things, to fully flesh out the meaning of it all (at least to the extent that we, as humans, can).

This is a great read for anyone who isn't sure they're capable of taking on something as "heady" as theology, because with Ed's help, you'll realize that you can. You can find out more about Ed Cyzewski through his blog here.

Keep rockin' for Christ!
Jade =)

No comments: