Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Totally geeked out!

Drue and I were talking the other day about what makes us "geek out." Working in this business, we meet a lot of people - listeners, other radio peeps, bands, musicians, celebrities - and sometimes it can become somewhat... routine (as terrible as that sounds). But then, there are those times when we run across someone we have always loved/looked up to, or we find ourselves in funny situations that lead us to (as we call it) "geek out." Ok, it happens more often that we'd like to admit, but we discussed some of our favorite "geek out" moments, and asked the rest of the staff to chime in as well. Here are some of the responses to the question, "Who DID you geek out over or who WOULD you geek out over given the opportunity?" ...


Dawn said: I’ve actually shared this with some already, in connection with the movie, The Imposter... I find it funny that Chris and I have interviewed some really awesome people in the Christian Rock industry; from Brian “Head” Welch and Toby Mac to Michael Sweet and Oz Fox. And I was thrilled to meet authors Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker, whose books I devour. But the person that really made me “geek out” was Kerry Livgren, formerly of Kansas. “Dust in the Wind” and “Carry On Wayward Son” still take me back to bittersweet memories of riding down the road in my parents lemon-yellow Dodge Dart with the windows down… I got the chance to meet Kerry when he played the part of “Prof” in The Imposter. The director introduced us and I just stood there, grinning like a cat saying something brilliant like, “ Wow….wow; wow” Not one of my finer moments.

Adrian said: I geek out every time I walk into the studio and Drue Mitchell is on the microphone...one time I went to talk to him and nothing came out I just ended up drooling all over myself...hehe. umm, I am a big fan of the band MuteMath. I have seen them five times in concert and I still get all excited about seeing them perform. One time I drove to Austin with Email to go watch them perform at Stubb's. For the record, I am not fond of approaching bands after shows because I always feel like its forced conversation that 10 million other people have told them. To me that is weird and uncomfortable, I would much rather have an interview set up. So, despite that I decided because it was MuteMath I would force through the awkward conversation and go up after the show to ask for an autograph. After the show was over with I went up to the band, however I couldn't think of anything to say. It was pretty pathetic, I was thinking to myself I shouldn't be like this because I am in radio and radio people are not supposed to be nervous around bands. However that was not the case, all I did was stand there with a cd in one hand and a sharpie in the other. I ended up getting the autograph but there was definitely a long awkward pause's of silence.

David said: I geeked out when I met Jessy from Falling Up when we went to Nashville… it was pretty funny.

Wes said: I did when I met Demon Hunter. I met them last year at thier concert. I was very nervous and studdered a whole lot and when I took pics with them my face flushed cause I was so excited. Also, when I had met Marion Barber. I was at the gym getting water and he was standing there. So I said look that's Marion barber and he walked over to me and stuck out his hand to introduce himself. Instead saying hello the first words out of my mouth were "I Love You. " He laughed and I tried to explain how I meant it but he said " it's cool, I love it when fans tell me that." I kind of embarassed myslrf but hey I love the cowboys and I am willing to say that I'd probably tell every single person on the team the exact same thing.

Amanda said: Well...I've geeked out over Mac Powell to other people, but haven't had the chance to geek out to Mac Powell :) I've geeked out to the lead singer of Augustana (one of my favorite bands), Dan Layus, but I don't think very many people know who he is. It was a beautiful moment actually :)


I also asked some of our Twitter Friends to tell us who makes (or WOULD make) them "geek out." Here are a few of those comments...

- Sarah said: brad paisley
- Damaris said: Selena. But she is dead.
- Tammy Trent said: amy grant....still do! I'm a geek AND a nerd!! LOL
- Corinne said: When I met Jon Foreman last year he said "Thank you for coming" At a loss for words, I said "Thank you for being so awesome." Duh!
- Greg said: I would geek out if I got a guitar lesson with Brian Stezer; or if I was able to do a song with David Crowder.
- Aaron said: just had haste the day respond to a tweet.. that kinda made me geek out..
- Taco Boy said: LOL well ilia and I will really geek out if I her meet demon hunter and haste the day!
- Erick Newbil from FAIR said: star struck? when I met all the guys from Blur. Amazing.


I hope you enjoyed those stories as much as I did!
Keep rockin' for Christ!
Jade =)

No comments: