Thursday, January 7, 2010

Drue's Top 10 of 2009

Here is my list of top picks for 2009. This is NOT definitive so these are just the records I like, I tried to listen to as much of the new releases as possible to have an objective list. I want to showcase the ones that really popped and stuck out to me marking the 'times' or just being great albums all the way through.
-drue-
  
10. Showbread The Fear of God / it was really interesting to interview these guys live on PowerFM. They were actually LESS weird then I thought they would be, lol. This new album from them is awesome, reminds me of an era of punk and rock when it was really dangerous. I like how they use crazy themes in the record and the last song is a great worship song.

9. Move Merchants Move Merchants / this is a hip-hop record from ManChild of Mars Ill fame and my good friend from Keller, tx. DJ Sean P. I was totally shocked when Sean told me he was doing a record with ManChild, and he truly delivered on this project. Its a hip-hop record, through and through, I think they keep it fresh, yep, #freshlikeseanp.

8. Emery In Shallow Seas We Sail / Emery's last full length cd was ummmh, can I say it? Not good. BUT, when that EP came out that preceded this album, I was like, wait a minute, I think somebody is back in business. This record was one of the first albums I could listen to over and over again and I am so glad they are being more clear and more bold in their lyrics. The song Butcher's Mouth is one of the greatest song they have ever written, love it!

7. Hillsong United Across The Earth / I goto Fellowship Church and we sing a bunch of these songs every week. Theses guys are taking it to a new level with everything they have done. I like how listening to the cd makes the songs more real and personal when we sing them in church on the weekends.

6. Sareem Poems Black and Read All Over / this guy is a card carrying member of the L.A. Symphony crew. He changed his name and got real serious about his hip-hop. I think he has come into a great sound as an artist and come light years since his last solo release. You want real hip/hop, skip the lecrae, get this.

5. Owl City Ocean Eyes / This came out of nowhere. All the music blogs I read say this guy is a biter of the postal service or secret handshake, but I think that twist he has on the this style is really fun. He is a bold Christian artist and if you look on his myspace you can totally tell. There was an awesome buzz about this album and I know for years I will look back on and remember as one of the ones to mark these times we are in now.

4. Flyleaf Momento Mori / Ok, do I really need to explain this? We did have to wait a little bit for this record, but the band totally delivered. Seeing them in Las Vegas w/ 20K people was an amazing experience. This new record is so good, I'm proud of this Texas band.

3. Rootbeer Pink Limousine / This is a project from Pigeon John & Flynn Adam of L.A. Symphony that sounds NOTHING anything either of them have ever done. Its in a class by itself and the quality and creativity in this is above the par so don't sleep on it. Watch them in 2010, I promise, big things.

2. Thrice Beggers / this band has really become one of the flagship bands of the decade. I think this album just speaks volumes about how far they have come in their catalog. I like the textures and lyrics the most, one listen is not going to get it, you have to sit down with this one.

1. U2 No Line On The Horizon / as a professional broadcaster for over 10 years now, NEVER have I seen anything like what happened surrounding this record and the single PowerFM played. I had to step back from my job and really let God work on me to forgive the mis-lead people that had believed the lies about this wonderful band that has put out their most 'Christian' album, ever. This is their best record start to finish the band has done since Achtung Baby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this list Drue! I will miss hearing you on the air! May God bless your future endeavors with JCTV!